It’s summer. They tell me we’ll hit 100 here in Austin for the next 3 months. For the sake of our electric bill and my sanity, I’m hunting for low-to-no cook dinners. I found this lil’ beauty on The Skinny Chick Can Bake, and made a few changes.
You’ll spend time on the prep side with chopping and dicing, so pour a glass of wine and carry on.
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped (or halved grape/ cherry tomatoes )
- 12 – 16 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
- I.5 cups diced celery – this sounds odd but it’s necessary for the crunch and color
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sliced basil (or combo of dried, paste and nearly-dead leaves from your patio plant)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup+ balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste (like guacamole, don’t under-salt)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken (optional)
1. Chop tomatoes, mozzarella, celery, cucumber and basil. Combine them one bowl. If adding chicken, put it in too.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Whisk together and pour over vegetables and chicken. Toss gently.
3. Eat! We ate it straight up with forks, but pita pockets or naan would also work well. I might add avocado or chilled pasta next time. Taste and see what you think. A pinch of sugar?