This morning the bf and I tried brunch at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. Their brunch is relatively new and could definitely use variety. The food was okay, but the best part involved a 3-for-1 deal on Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s. In my perfect world, all Bloody Mary’s are offered as part of a make-your-own Bloody Mary Bar.
Items to be included a perfect Bloody Mary Bar:
- Hot sauce – To each their own spice
- Celery – way more fun that a spoon as a stir stick
- Horseradish – duh
- Worcestershire – a touch of savory salty
- Old Bay- best when rimmed on the glass
- Limes or lemons – for squeezing and garnishing
- Celery salt – if you don’t have it, you’ll taste the lack
- Olives – Okay, this is not my vote but I understand it’s integral for some
- Pickled mini corns, or any pickled vegetables really
- A1 sauce – oh so zingy
In DC, my pick for building your own perfect beverage at brunch is The Argonaut in NE. It’s about $9 for bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Mary’s, and their brunch foods are flavorful even if the ambiance is a bit so-so. Another possibility is sampling the selection of Best Blood Mary’s as recommended by the Bitches Who Brunch.