This year I just don’t feel like drinking green-dyed beer, or watching people get shit-faced, pee in the street and pinch arses in public while winking like a deranged leprechaun. Despite my red curly hair, I’m not Irish. Sorry to disappoint.
Instead, come Saturday night, I’m making a green meal (the color, not the eco-conscious kind of green) for some dear friends of mine. Our festive feast will include:
- Guacamole with green tortilla chips
- Edamame dip served with raw broccoli florets, celery and green bell pepper strips
- Spinach enchiladas with salsa verde
- Cilantro-infused jasmine rice
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream – or green tea ice cream, haven’t decided yet
Whether I imbibe a pint of Guinness or Harp, or just drink some red wine, I support Dogfish Head’s quote, “No green beer, just stick with great beer this St Patty’s Day.” I’ll toast to that.